Monday, February 1, 2010

You've Got Mail

Wow it works. I have been desperately trying to post for days and weeks. I had so much to say. So much to laugh about, funny shit was happening left and right. But the unfunny reality of life in the boonies has overwhelmed me. I had to get dial up internet. Yes, it does still exist. Who new?! I didn't know. I thought the entire world ran on high speed.  When we moved out here I was offered an internet stick. High speed service anywhere there is 3G. Only 30 bucks a month. Come on.... what do you have to lose? umm, only about $300 of hard earned money for one month of internet sticking. Seriously. They actually found it totally reasonable to charge me $300 for one month of service. I found it totally reasonable that I call them every swear word I ever learned, and even few that I made up on the fly. Those ones haunt me embarrassingly. So now I am condemned to relive 1998 when we got out first computer and were introduced to the wonderful world of rotten.com. oh! I meant email, Mom. Sorry. It was EMAIL! All we did was email. I did not show my 12 year old brother pictures of peoples brains smashed all over the pavement. Actually he showed me....
Anyways, I couldn't even remember how to work the archaic form of internet. I had to phone Telus and ask the,. "umm, plug the computer to the phone jack and hit connect. Well no, you can't talk on the phone at the same time."  So I hung up and hook up the phone cord to the computer. Then came the noise of signing on..  dialing... weeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeooooonnnnggggg tinga tinga..... I put on a rerun of friends, cooked up a chimichanga in the microwave, filled an extra large A&W mug with Tang, and felt 18 again.

5 comments:

  1. haha so true hey! took you right back to the good old days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is "internet sticking"? I've not heard the term before, but $300.00 is crazy! Dial up sucks, but it's better than nothing. You can still blog, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to tell you that MOST OF THE TIME, when I try to comment on my site, I get a message saying it's some sort of error and wasn't posted. But, if I hit "Try Again", it will ALWAYS go. Weird, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My internet stick is a USB plug-in that picks up 3G service (cell phone I think). I can sometimes post to my blog with the dial up, but not always. And for the commenting, I comment and hit post and nothing at all happens, lets see if it works this time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, okay, I get it. Good luck with it. Sure would hate to see you go! Thanks for stopping by Gordon Setter Crossing and joining. Nice to have ya!

    ReplyDelete